The overall market is in winter mode and will hold like this for the next few weeksThis will change once the weather warms up in QLD, which is usually around August.
FRUIT: Market Overview
- Ones to watch out for are the melons: Water, Seedless, Rocks & Honeydew. We will see a change by week’s end as the NT season kicks in and supply increases however price is expected to remain in the ‘high’ zone
- Bananas are up slightly due to the cold temp up North
- Local grapes are on the way out- Seeded Black still good buying, Seedless Red & White are now New Season Imported USA fruit
- Citrus is in full swing- Lemon and Limes slightly up, Blood Oranges, Ruby Grapefruit and Oranges- great quality, good eating and priced to suit
VEG: Market Overview
- The cooler temperatures up North are slowing supply on the following lines this week and prices are up; Beans, Green Capsicums, Lebanese Cucumbers, Celery, all Pumpkin, all Tomatoes (ripened fruit hard to source) and Zucchini.
- Picks for the week: Beetroot, Broccoli, Cauliflowers, Carrots, Celeriac, Mushrooms, Parsnips, Silverbeet and Spuds.
- Also most gourmet salad lines are back to normal supply and price
Fruit: Grapes – black seeded (VIC) * Ruby Grapefruit (QLD) * Kiwifruit (NZ) * Mandarins (QLD) * Persimmon (Imp- NZ)
Vegetable: Baby Fennel- bulb (NSW) * Brussel Sprouts (NSW) * Celeriac (VIC) * Portabello Mushroom (NSW) * Sugarsnap Peas (Imp)
Fruit: Buddha Hands (QLD) * Cumquats (QLD) * Grapes- green seedless (Imp- USA) * Green Mangoes (QLD)
Vegetable: Borlotti Beans (QLD) * Choi Sum (NSW) * Jicama aka Water Chestnut (QLD) * Namenko Mushroom (NSW) * Red Banana Capsicum (QLD) * Shimeji Mushroom (NSW)
NOT THIS WEEK:
Short Supply: Butter Bean – yellow * Guava- cooking
Expensive: Honeydew (expensive) * Rockmelon (expensive)
End of Season: Quince
Not Available: Chestnut Mushroom * Baby Ginger