Dishes: White Asparagus with wasabi salsa
Chef: Min Kim from The Star, Sokyo restaurant
- 6 pieces White Asparagus
- 20gm Baby Capers
- 40gm Fresh Garlic
- 50gm Brown Onion
- 50gm Pickled Wasabi Roots
- 10gm Baby Mache
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 15gm Grape Seed Oil
- 10ml Lemon Juice
- 50ml Yuzu juice
- 100ml Japanese soy sauce
- 10ml Rice Vinegar
- Edible flowers to garnish
- To make the salsa, finely chop the onion, garlic (10g only) and pickled wasabi roots and then mix them together with the lemon juice and grape seed oil. Finish with a little bit of salt to season.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Place the white asparagus on a baking tray and season well with salt and black pepper and olive oil.
- Roast them in the oven for 6~7 mins or until al Dante.
- Put aside the asparagus to rest, Slice the rest of the garlic into a thin slices. Heat the oil in a large frypan over medium heat and then fry the garlic until golden brown and crispy. Season with salt.
- Mix the soy sauce, yuzu juice and the vinegar together to make a Yuzu soy dressing.
- Cut the asparagus into 3 and then stack them on top of each other.
- Put the wasabi salsa which you’ve made previously on top of the asparagus and then baby capers on the salsa mix.
- Sprinkle some garlic chip on top and then dress it well with the Yuzu soy dressing.
- Finish with the Micro Mache and some edible flowers to garnish.
Sokyo is a celebrated Japanese restaurant at The Star in Sydney, NSW, featuring the kitchen artistry of Chefs Min Kim and Chase Kojima. Sokyo introduces Sydney denizens to a new age of Japanese dining. Traditional Japanese dishes in bold and complex flavours characterise the menu. In the elegant surrounds of The Darling hotel, it allows you to choose-your-own-adventure through modern Japanese cuisine. The food is complemented by a wide selection of wine, sake and Japanese beer.